Following the recent passing of Councillor Wade Galloway, the City of Lethbridge will hold a by-election on Monday, May 12, 2014 to fill the single vacancy. Here’s everything you need to know.
Ten people are running in the by-election: 1 has been on council before, 7 have ran in the last election, and 2 are new to municipal politics.
|Marco Bergeron||Ran in 2013 election|
|Pat Berthelot||First campaign|
|Peter Deys||Ran in 2013 election|
|Yves Gauthier||Ran in 2013 election|
|Martin Heavy Head||Ran in 2013 election|
|Kevin Layton||Ran in 3 elections and 1 by-election|
|Bridget Mearns||Fromer councillor, ran for mayor in 2013|
|Chris Rowley||First campaign|
|Joey Shackleford||Ran in 2013|
|Rena Woss||Ran in 2013|
You can vote if you:
- are at least 18 years old
- are a Canadian citizen
- have resided in Alberta in 6 months immediately preceding election day
- are a resident of the City of Lethbridge on election day
- have acceptable voter identification
- sign a declaration that you meet these qualifications
There will be 6 voting stations on election day.
- LDS Church, 5 Jerry Potts Blvd W
- Immanuel Lutheran Church, 20 Rocky Mountain Blvd W
- Casa, 230 8 St S
- Italian Canadian Cultural Club, 1511 St. Edwards Blvd N
- River of Life Community Church, 2820 18 Av N
- LDS Church, 2410 28 St S
Advance voting will take place at City Hall on May 3, 8, and 10. Each day, advance voting will take place 10:00–20:00.
There will be 4 candidate forums. These are opportunities to meet candidates, ask them questions, and see how they interact with one another on popular issues.
|Candidate forum||SACPA||30 April||Lethbridge Public Library, Theatre Gallery
|Candidate forum||Youth Advisory Council||1 May||Lethbridge Public Library, Theatre Gallery||18:00|
|Meet and greet||Lethbridge Senior Citizen Organization||7 May||Fritz Sick Memorial Centre, Upper Gym||10:00|
|Candidate Forum||Chamber of Commerce||8 May||Yates Memorial Centre||19:00|
These are places you can go to read more about candidates and the issues.