Are you finally ready to take the plunge to buy a new home? Maybe you’re done with renting? Or maybe the house you bought didn’t quite live up to your expectations?
If you’re buying a newly constructed home or require renovations to a resale home, you’ll be hiring a builder or contractor.
Here are 5 Things to Consider When Choosing a Home Builder:
- Ask for references; talk to other customers about the builder’s performance.
- Check with the New Home Warranty program in the area.
- Visit other housing developments the company has built.
- Ask builders or contractors if they’re members of a local homebuilders’ association, or ask for a provincial license number.
- If you’re building a custom home, remember that:
- You may want to hire an architect.
- Builders of custom homes usually work on either a fixed‐price or a cost‐plus basis. Authorize any changes to your contract by writing your name or initials beside the change.
Buying a new home is one of the biggest decisions of your life. Make sure you do it right, and use the professionals. Learn from our mistakes with the 5 Things to Consider When Choosing a Home Builder.
And when you’re ready to pay for it, contact us. We’ll find a mortgage that’s built just for you.